Monday, September 19, 2016

I Hope No One Had Money On Me...

If you read either of my other two blogs, you will know that I am not the greatest at updating them... I believe it's been at least a couple of years at this point. So what made me think that I could keep up with a blog about a major cosmetic overhaul of a house while doing a major cosmetic overhaul of a house?

I pretty much figured that trying to do blog the whole thing was futile within the first couple of days. The day after closing on the house, we got right to work, considering we had about 5 weeks to get it move in ready. The day after closing, it rained. All day. It rained so much, we collected a pond on top of the pool cover and got a couple of visitors...



We still worked, though. We pulled up carpet and padding and carpet staples... LOTS of carpet staples.



Unfortunately, we didn't think about all of allergens and things in the quite yucky old carpet and our daughter ended up in the emergency room the next day for breathing treatments and her first inhaler. She was banned from the house, at that point, until we could get all the old out and seal all surfaces with some oil based primer.

Mike took the first week after closing off to get some "serious" work done... meaning he got to play with all of his tools for a week.




For the next two weeks, we had help from my mom with all of the priming and painting... thank goodness! It would have taken much longer without that help, as I felt like I was constantly running off to meet school buses at the other house or taking short people to appointments that had been scheduled long before the new house was even in our sights. By the time we would knock off for the evening, there was no way I was going to sit down at my computer and rehash the long, hot, hectic day for a blog. Sorry, y'all!

We were able to get all of the walls primed and most of them painted before my mom left. We had help from a few other friends as well!

This whole thing was some kind of learning experience. I will never watch HGTV the same way again. And it's only now, almost 2 months after moving in, that I am not thinking mean, horrible thoughts about Chip and Joanna Gaines and their darn "fixer uppers."

I will write about our adventures with each room and post the before and after photos... hopefully, the recollections will be more cathartic than traumatizing! ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment